Wednesday, August 02, 2006

on the run...

Indian Railway stations have always been swarming with beggars 24x7 as long as I can remember. When my innocent eyes first saw kids my age begging with their sorry faces, I handed a coin to the one standing nearest. Then suddenly,in a rush, they were all over me with their dirty hands spread out ...saying that they'd not taken any food, saying that their younger siblings are hungry..that moment, I do not remember now, whether I was terrified or scandalized.
As I grew older, left for college, I heard talks about beggars producing more children...which implies, more hands to beg...which implies more money. This is no news to us mortals now. But then, it meant a lot to me. Pity changed to bitterness at the sight of beggars. I felt like I would be encouraging them to beg more if I hand them the money. So, this entire phase right till a few days back, I cringed at the sight of hands spreading out infront of me.
But then,few days while taking a stroll, unconsciously I took out some coins and handed over to the handicapped beggar. A few steps ahead, I repeated my act. . After handing out the coin to the second beggar, I realised that something inside of me had changed. With the one rupee coin in my hand, I have nothing...with that same coin in their hand, they have something...!

4 Comments:

Blogger JuSt AnoThEr FaCe In ThE CrOwD said...

giving chocelessly is so different from being forced to give...nice subtle write this...

August 04, 2006  
Blogger ripz said...

thanks thinley..and what happened to your character>>>?

August 07, 2006  
Blogger JuSt AnoThEr FaCe In ThE CrOwD said...

well gone into hibernation i guess:-)

August 10, 2006  
Blogger Karchoong said...

"no one ever knew his name cause he's a no-one Never thought twice about spending on a ol' bum,
until I had the chance to really get to know one
Now that I know him, to give him money isn't charity
He gives me some knowledge, I buy him some shoes"

- from the song Mr Wendal by Arrested Development

August 10, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home